This site is designed and managed by Sacred Heart Byzantine Catholic Church.
Design and Content Copyright © 2015 Sacred Heart Byzantine Catholic Church. All rights reserved.
Web Design and Maintenance by Concept Productions
Sacred Heart Byzantine Catholic Church
With the approval of the late Bishop Nicholas T. Elko, Sacred Heart Byzantine Catholic Church was established in 1957 to serve the Faithful living in Metropolitan Detroitís northwestern suburbs by the parishís first pastor, Fr. William Lesko (1957-1959).
The original mission church building was a modest wooden building, located on Beach-Daily Road in the City of Redford. Subsequently, during the pastorate of Fr. Myron Hornyak (1959-1970), construction of the permanent church structure took place on the present Livonia site.
The first Divine Liturgy in the newly completed building was celebrated on the Feast of Theophany, January 6, 1968. Bishop Emil J. Mihalik consecrated the new church on September 14, 1969, the Feast of the Exaltation of Holy Cross. Pastors who have served the Faithful of Sacred Heart Church since its founding in 1957 are: Fr. William Lesko (1957-1959), Fr. Myron Hornyak (1959-1970), Fr. Don G. Freude (1970-1975), Fr. Joseph Fedyszak (1975-1979) , Fr. Thomas R. Chelena (1979-1988), Fr. Kenneth Walsh (1988-1991), Fr. Nicholas Ivan (1991-2005), Fr. Joseph Marquis (2006-present).
Sacred Heart is presently experiencing an ongoing renewal, as young families, adult converts (and even some Roman Catholics seeking a formal change of rite) are being added to the parish ďfamilyĒ each year. With the personal encouragement of Bishop John Kudrick coupled with the support of the Eparchy of Parma, a major improvement loan was granted in 2007. This measure made our beloved spiritual home a much more welcoming environment for both parishioners and visitors alike during Sacred Heartís 50th Jubilee celebration in the Fall of 2007. That special occasion, provided the first opportunity to showcase our newly renovated Banquet & Conference Center, served by Josh Mayse of Thomasís Catering (734) 525-5610. Thomasís Dining & Catering enjoys an outstanding reputation in Metropolitan Detroit. Its family dining location is at 33971 Plymouth Road, Livonia, Mi 48150.
In addition, our Conference Center is the retail home for an Eastern Orthodox retail store, Pascha Books & Gifts and its owner Richard Shebib (734) 422-0278. Renovation expenses for the new retailer were provided for by a grant approved by Bishop John Kudrick and the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma.
While acknowledging Bishop John for his vision, kindness and support, we also pray that the abundant graces flowing from the Sacred Heart of Christ the Good Shepherd may make us worthy instruments of His love for many years to come.